Kishan joined Patel Law Group in 2017 to open and manage the firm’s Houston, TX office where he represents a diverse group of clients in a variety of business, tax and real estate matters. Kishan’s real estate practice includes the purchase, sale and leasing of properties, along with counseling developers on large commercial projects. Representative transactions include the development of large mixed-use projects, development of limited and full-service hospitality projects and redevelopment of historical buildings by utilizing federal and state tax incentives. Further, Kishan has worked with a variety of developers to utilize the EB-5 Immigrant Investor program.
Kishan’s corporate practice focuses on business transactions, including corporate formations, employment agreements, and mergers and acquisitions. Kishan has drafted numerous agreements, including company agreements, independent contractor agreements, merger agreements and purchase-sale agreements.
Kishan is a 2013 graduate of the Graduate Tax Program at Boston University’s School of Law where he earned a Master of Law in Taxation. While at Boston University, Kishan gained a broad foundation in real estate tax, business tax, estate tax and corporate tax. Kishan received a Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law from the Louisiana State University Law Center in 2012. While in law school, Kishan was a recipient of the Ernest N. Morial scholarship and named to the Chancellor’s List. Kishan earned his Bachelor of Science in Finance in 2009 from Louisiana State University.
Kishan was born and raised in Louisiana and moved to Sugar Land, TX in 2013 where he now resides with his family. In his free time, Kishan enjoys traveling, spending time with family and friends, and mentoring young professionals and students to provide guidance for their professional and personal development.
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Business Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Real Estate Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Fort Bend County Bar Association
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2020,2021
Kishan represents real estate developers, financial institutions and many other businesses and investors in complex real estate financing transactions, commercial loans, commercial real estate transaction and commercial leasing transactions.
Since joining Patel Law Group, Kishan has served as counsel to clients on over $500 million in transactions. Examples of Kishan’s transactional experience include the following:
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with the acquisition and redevelopment of a historical building into a $40 million hotel.
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with the development of a $18 million mixed-use development in Fort Bend County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $11 million loan for construction of office building in Houston, Texas.
- Represented real estate developer in connection with the development of a business condominium complex in Brazoria County, Texas.
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with a 200-home residential subdivision in Fort Bend County, Texas.
- Represented purchaser in connection with acquisition of 80,000 square foot hotel in Houston, Texas.
- Represented seller in connection with sale of 60,000 square foot hotel in Austin, Texas.
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with the construction of $15 million hotel in Houston, Texas Represented a real estate developer in acquisition of real estate and development of a 20-acre tract of land in Fort Bend County, Texas.
- Represented business owner in connection with a defeasance of a $12 million CMBS Defeasance.
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with a $14 million CMBS Loan.
- Represented multiple hotel owners in the negotiation and documentation of franchise agreements with various franchisors, including Marriott, Hilton, IHG, G6 Hospitality, Choice Hotels and Wyndham.
Prior to joining Patel Law Group, Kishan worked at a national legal and tax consulting firm for three years. During that time, his practice involved working with hundreds of companies, ranging in annual sales of $5M to $1B, to identify and substantiate a variety of federal and state tax incentives. Kishan worked with clients in various industries, including engineering, manufacturing, construction, architecture, software and oil and gas. During this time, Kishan quantified and qualified over $100 million in tax credits through the utilization of complex financial models and the review and analysis of contractual, financial, and technical information. Kishan directly conducted in-depth interviews with C-Suite executives, CPA’s, financial officers, and technical managers to gather facts to identify and analyze potential incentives. Further, Kishan collaborated with tax controversy attorneys and multiple tax service lines to identify additional tax benefits and address IRS inquiries and examinations.
While in law school, Kishan served as a legal intern for the Office of the Louisiana Attorney General in the Civil Division, and later served as a student mediator at the LSU Law Center’s Civil Mediation Clinic.