Basel’s practice focuses on real estate, corporate, and community development matters.
Prior to joining PLG, Basel worked at a law firm in Northeast Texas, where he maintained a broad public and real estate law practice extending to public and real estate finance, economic development incentives, infrastructure construction, and real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
While in law school, Basel served as student director of the GW Law Community Economic Development Clinic and interned at the D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development, the D.C. Council’s Office of the General Counsel, and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.
Basel received his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School and his B.A., cum laude, from The University of Texas at Dallas.
Basel is a child immigrant from Jordan and speaks fluent Arabic. In his free time, he dotes on his recently‑arrived nephew, volunteers with political and civic initiatives, and explores the towns and cities of North and Northeast Texas.
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
– Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Section
– Administrative and Public Law Section
– Government Law Section
- American Bar Association
– Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law Section
– Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
– State and Local Government Law Section
- The Real Estate Council (Dallas)
– Young Guns
– TREC Think Tank
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Represented multinational developer as outside general counsel advising on matters encompassing real estate transactions, property management, leasing, common-interest communities, land use, and regulatory compliance
- Represented Texas development corporation in drafting and negotiating freight railroad construction contract with global rail holding company to obtain cost-containment mechanisms and long-term service guarantees
- Assisted lead counsel in borrower representation of Texas development corporation on loan package from a consortium of community banks secured by real property and tax proceeds
- Assisted lead counsel in drafting and negotiating real estate purchase and sale agreements