Patel Law Group has an immediate need for a reliable and organized litigation paralegal to join its growing business litigation division.
The litigation division recently brought in a new managing attorney and the group is looking for a paralegal who wants to contribute with our team to be a part of the group’s transformation into a dynamic, successful, profitable, and satisfying place to work.
We are committed to the growth, development, and success of our attorneys and staff—we believe that a key part of that commitment is to cultivate and maintain a culture built on transparency and honest communication in the workplace. We foster that culture every day, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Each litigation team member meets one-on-one with the managing attorney on a regular and routine basis to reinforce that commitment and to help us learn and grow as leaders, followers, and as a team. We will hold formal training sessions as needed for the paralegals and/or attorneys to develop and when we implement new policies, practices, or other initiatives as the group changes.
We organize and sponsor regular firm-wide events to build on that commitment to work/life balance and a healthy culture across the entire firm: birthday and work anniversary recognition, firm-wide social outings (e.g., Top Golf, Rangers Game, Sidecar Social, Pinstack Bowling, etc.), department lunches and happy hours, and an end of year holiday celebration dinner. In addition, we host a golf tournament every year benefiting a local charity as a way to give back to the community we live, work and play in.
While work/life balance is ingrained and intertwined with our firm’s culture, the work in the litigation department is challenging and sometimes requires additional effort from our attorneys and staff to match the customary fast-paced flow of litigation cases. We are looking for a candidate who is willing to stick it out alongside our attorneys to provide support throughout these normal ups and downs in the workflow.
The ideal candidate possesses strong analytical and organizational skills, works well under pressure, has excellent client-facing communication skills, and can work independently on matters related to business/commercial litigation. The candidate will possess a college degree and at least three years’ experience working in business/commercial litigation or a similar position. An ABA-approved paralegal degree or certification is preferred, but not required.
The Litigation Paralegal’s day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Draft documents for attorney review and revision/finalization, including:
- pleadings, motions, proposed orders, demand letters, discovery requests and responses, settlement documents when needed, engagement letters, and routine correspondences
- E-File documents in state and federal court, and coordinate in-person filing when required (Justice Court)
- Maintain, organize, and cultivate electronic case files with minimal lag time
- Scan and save all physical copies,
- Format and save documents from email, fax, text message, client intake portal, etc.
- Conduct basic legal research as needed and assist the attorney in research assignments
- Assist in the investigation of each case, gathering documents, coordinating witnesses, etc.
- Serve as the primary initial point of contact for the litigation group when dealing with clients, outside counsel, opposing counsel, the Courts, etc.; coordinate and communicate amongst all third parties on behalf of the firm and responsible attorney
- via phone, email, in-person, etc.
- Maintain autonomous, routine, and consistent communication with clients, attorneys, other staff members, insurers, etc. throughout the life cycle of each assigned case
- Help with voir dire, jury selection and witness preparation as needed
- Manage the final steps during the settlement of a case, including obtaining signatures, saving copies of executed documents, coordinating payment details and delivery, and the drafting, execution, and filing of dismissal documents.
- Update and maintain internal databases, including Clio case management software
- Prepare and organize materials for attorney review leading up to case events (mediation, hearings, site inspection, depositions, trial, etc.)
- Monitor attorney calendars and schedule meetings, case events, case deadlines, and routine checkpoints for each case
- Take initiative when scheduling with other parties to efficiently set and confirm calendar events/entries
- Manage new client intake process: draft engagement letters for attorney approval, input client information into electronic files and Clio case management software, coordinate execution and payment with clients
- Manage billing and collection process for multiple attorneys: time entry, drafting invoices, collect and apply payments, and answer client billing-related questions, make calls to remind clients, and initiate formal correspondence and demand letter requests
- Transmit and obtain documents using eSignature software platforms, such as DocuSign
- Collaborate with attorneys and other staff to implement departmental initiatives for new processes, procedures, ideas on how to make the group better
- Cover front desk/main phone line to relieve office-wide receptionist as needed
- Assist with the administration and management of case tasks and workflow in general; maintain communication with attorneys to help the group manage cases as a unit
- Assist with any in-person visitors to the office as needed
- Maintain polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail
Commensurate with market depending on experience. Discretionary annual bonus.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Basic Life and AD&D, Paid Vacation